Why personalised content is key to increasing conversions & AOV
Personalisation has been a hot topic in the world of ecommerce for years but despite its clear benefits and importance, lots of merchants are still struggling to implement strategies to deliver it. Many try and run before they can walk and over complicate things so much they never get off the ground, others trust so called ‘intelligent systems’ that deliver content based on other people’s habits that don’t work, but often they struggle due to the limitations of their ecommerce platform.
Many platforms fail in being able to deliver personalised communications to the user throughout their online journey, whether that is through different emails, banners, recommendations, videos, products, offers, or pricing. The communication of key promotions, recommendations (up-sells and cross-sells) or shipping information is vital to conversions and AOV, so the more relevant they are to the user, the more likely they are to convert, and the more likely they are to spend more.
Historical & live personalisation
By using a class-leading ecomemrce platform, like tradeit - with its’ built-in advertising system, you can start to tailor your content based on different users. How you profile and segment those users is down to you but could include delivering them unique content based on both historical information such as:
- Who they are if they are logged in, or cookied from a previous visit
- Where they are based (location, channel, longitude and latitude)
- Whether they have been assigned to a specific user group (these can be defined by you and based on any segmentation you have such as demographic)
- What they have previously bought
- What’s on their wish list
As well as 'live' information such as:
- What time it is (different content can be shown at different times of day or dates)
- What they search for
- What they add to their basket
- What offers they have triggered on not triggered when adding items to their basket
- The value of the items in their basket
- Where they have come from (referring URL such as PPC, email campaign, affiliate, social media)
- Type of device they are accessing the site on (You can display different content to users on mobile and desktop for instance)
Where and how to personalise your content
Once you have set your strategy to determine how you wish to begin personalising content to your users, you can also determine where to deliver content to them by creating advertising zones in prevalent places throughout your site. This could include in prominent places on category pages, product pages, search results pages, and the mini-basket with content triggered to display based on different user actions. For instance if a user adds a pair of trousers to their basket, it could trigger an advert to appear in the mini-basket suggesting a shirt to go with them, some personalised cross-sells to appear on the product page (related to the user or the trousers), or perhaps a 10% discount on a pair of shoes if they buy them with the trousers.
That is just one example of how an advanced ecommerce platform can help you deliver more relevant content to your users, increasing conversions and AOV. You can already see how you can build up your personalisation strategy as you go, with different products triggering different suggestions or different offers, then add further ways and places to personalise and you begin to create journeys tailored to individual users and their individual actions each time they browse, search or buy from you.
To find out more about how tradeit’s advertising system can help you deliver personalised content to your users and increase conversions & average order value, then contact us.